3/18/2009

Beautiful moments






One of my beautiful and wise friends Christine sent me an excerpt from a book she loves called "A little more about me" by Pam Houston. As with every morsel of the love we share as friends, came words that spoke right to my heart.

The chapter she sent me was about redefining success....

One line from a section where the author is talking with a dear friend about the "successful" moments/events in her life, one in particular seemed to jump right off the page with arms outstretched...."each moment of conversation in the course of a day when I am able to do the one thing I most want to: speak from a place of courage and love instead of a place of insecurity and fear".

I just loved this. This truly is a success isn't it? Flip insecurity and fear the bird, and jump right into the joy that comes with being courageous and loving.

The past few days I spent some time trying to pick some pictures to go with my links for a new splash page. As I kept looking for the "perfect" photographs, I started to feel some insecurities because I couldn't pinpoint just 3 that I felt were my "best". For me so much of what I love about my photographs is the moment I shared with my subject when I captured it. But when looking at my photographs from a technical standpoint I felt a bit insecure that my technical skills are not where I think they should be.

So I decided to spend the day playing and having fun with some photographs I haven't had the time to edit. Photographs that really captured moments where my dream was clear, my heart was wide open and there was no fear or insecurity to be found.....one afternoon in particular jumped out at me, it was an afternoon this past fall.....where Denise, Kelly Rae, Mati and I climbed into my car and drove off to a winding dirt road Denise had scouted out for her shoot with Kelly and Mati. Denise and Kelly took off to the meadow across the street while Mati and I stayed on the road.

If I close my eyes I can feel the sun on my face as it danced through the leaves, I can hear the tinkle of Mati's giggles, see the sparkle in her eye, feel our energies bubbling and dancing around us as we connected and she allowed me in, to photograph a very special part of her soul. I felt pure joy in this perfect bunch of moments, on a quiet dirt road with a talented and gorgeous artist doing what I am passionately in love with doing-taking photographs.

Thank you Mati......for blessing me with your delightful spirit....

Here are some of the photographs I took that afternoon....

4 Comments:

Blogger Swirly said...

I am glad you like that piece as much as I did. I love you gorgeous.

3/19/2009 1:42 AM  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

It's easy to look at someone else's work and think: 'if I do it just like that 'll have what she has,' rather than saying:'if I stay open to learning new ideas and passionate about finding my own way - authentically and unapologetically, I'll find true success and happiness'.

Live in those magical moments like you just did with Mati...they are everywhere! xx

3/19/2009 4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you captured something so lovely in those photos.

3/21/2009 6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, I am savoring that quote right now, as it struck a chord in me as well...

your photography really has a magic to it. you seem like the type of person who would light up a room a bit just by being there, and somehow you bring that quality to each photo you capture.

3/27/2009 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home