7/31/2008




I got this from Arete.com and it so applies to me right now.


I feel that tension, that doubt and it is so damn hard to resist and not snap back to what I have done in the past.

The tension is almost unbearable.

How have you managed when faced with this type of tension? I could use some ideas:)


The way you create any outcome in your life is to hold the vision of your deepest desires. At the same time, though, you must honestly and accurately assess your current situation and how it relates to your greater vision. By doing this, you engage tension between what is and what can be. This tension is the primary creative force behind the manifestation of any outcome. It’s as natural and powerful as the force of gravity.”

~ David Emerald, Author of “The Power of TED*

Pick up a rubber band. (Imagining it will be fine. :))

Put it between the biggest finger on each of your hands. Pull your fingers apart, stretching the rubber band. Now, imagine that your right hand is your ideal, pulling away from your left hand, which is your current situation.

Feel the tension?

Nice.

That tension between your fingers is the same type of tension that exists when you dare to dream and envision your ideal life. The moment we do that, we create what TED from “The Power of TED*” calls “Dynamic Tension” between our ideal and our current reality.

Here’s the challenge: What do we want to do when we feel that tension between our fingers and between our ideal and where we are? Relieve it, right?

As TED advises: “In the case of dynamic tension, you can resolve the tension in either direction. You can let go of your vision and snap back toward your current reality, or you can move from your current situation toward your vision.”

As Victims, we compromise our ideal vision and then bitch that someone’s persecuting us.

As Creators? As Creators, we know that “It’s impossible to invest your soul in a compromise.” So we hold that tension and take what TED calls “Baby Steps” toward our goal.

It is the Baby Steps you take, the everyday things you do,
that eventually lead to the manifestation of your outcome.”

Some of the steps you take may end up being detours or out-and-out mistakes.
By staying focused on your vision, though, you’ll find even those steps useful in the creating process.”

Feel the tension and take a Baby Step, baby!!! :)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog through Superhero, reading through the comments on her posts...

But what you wrote struck a cord for me as well. I too feel that tension, that self doubt, that never ending question, "what if I'm not good enough for this?" How do I manage? I'm not so sure I do except... I tell my inner critic to shut up already! I point out all of the steps that I've already taken to get to this point, the things that I've learned. I remind myself that its OKAY not to know everything, to still be learning. And always I imagine that ideal life, which makes the current state that much more unbearbable, which keeps me moving towards the ideal.

But thank you for this. I needed to read this today, on a day when the self-doubt is clammering in my head.

7/31/2008 11:36 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

I can't help myself...when I imagine that rubber band stretched between my fingers, all I want to do is
MAKE MUSIC!!!! :) :)

love ya, babe. Your photos are giant, beautiful LEAPS! :)

7/31/2008 11:52 PM  
Blogger mccabe said...

whoa,
this applies to me too.

just taking it all in-
thanks thea.
:)

love
mccabe x

8/01/2008 12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baby steps, baby steps. And with enough time and enough baby steps, your ideal will become your current situation.

I'm living it right now, in the admittedly very prosaic area of nutrition and exercise.

I think my motto of: "What's the hurry, this is for LIFE!" applies to the more high-minded world of art and creativity, too.

Or in the wise words of Dory, "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming."

Love, Melissa

8/01/2008 10:39 AM  
Blogger boho girl said...

i'm all about baby steps... ; )

love you honey.

8/01/2008 1:08 PM  
Blogger bella said...

tension is part of it, the way we experience polarity, the full spectrum of energy.
It seems like we are taught to only have or think or feel or be one thing at at time, but there is always more.
and sometimes, the tension between, and not running from it but entering more fully INTO it, is what opens up whole mines of imagination we would have never known or seen.
Thanks for posting this. What a lovely reminder.

8/01/2008 1:46 PM  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

Hey Sweetie,

Baby steps...mmmm... why do we always want to take that giant leap of faith..and miss all the fun inbetween with the baby steps...i'm doing the baby steps right now...trusting the process... one step at a time...

my next baby (Giant) hug... oops step... is for YOU! xx

8/02/2008 7:33 PM  
Blogger Graciel said...

Yes. Thank you for this today. The tension is high, the rubberband is taut. And no, I can't go back to the left finger life. That life is falling apart with tears and gratitude for what has been.

And your photos? Such an eye, such a gift you have. Scrumptious.

8/03/2008 11:01 AM  
Blogger AbraMichelle said...

Thank you thank you thank you for this post. I had never thought of it like that. SO simple. It's so much easier to let the rubber band go and be back where we started just for temporary relief but what good will that do us in the long run? You have made this so much clearer for me and I am determined each time I am tempted to take the easy way to remind myself of how much easier the baby steps truly are to an eventual happiness that will far outweigh the temporary relief of tension.

Taking deep breaths and baby steps thanks to you.

8/05/2008 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home