8/18/2007

I went to Saratoga Race Track this morning and all I got was this crummy picture


Today was a ROUGH day.

I went to bed last night with the alarm set for 4:30am. so that I could get up and be at my friend Genine's house at 5-to drive together to Saratoga Race Track (about 30 min away) to get some pictures of the horses. We were hoping for a beautiful sunrise / mist in the background shot. I don't know who we were kidding. More on that later.

At 12:00 I was woken by my crazy teenage neighbors having a party. We dealt with that fiasco until 1:30. Then my son was up from the racket-so I had to cuddle him for an hour or so. On top of it the wine we had with dinner at a friends had gone to my head and I felt hung over and cranky at 4:30 this morning.

I got to Genines 15 minutes past 5. Thanks for having hot coffee ready Genine. By the time we got to Saratoga, it was light out even though there was no distinguishable sunrise-at the staggering early hour of 6am.

Then we realized there was no way to get in close enough-unless you had a press pass AND the proper equipment (telephoto wide angle jammy). But we didn't have either. There was a warm up jockey that tried to get us by Mr. Crabby pants the Prefect, but there was no way around him.

So we set up outside a fence and tried to at least get a few shots of the horses getting bathed and waiting to be brought to warm up. Right after the shot above....my battery died.

What a freakin bummer. I didn't want to ruin it for Genine so I tried to grin and bear the torture of being surrounded by some of the most beautiful creatures on earth. Just the sight of them and the idea of photographing them had made me teary, so I wasn't about to ruin it (or at least try not to) for Genine. At least one of us should get a few shots.

Fast forward- they open the track at 7 for warm ups-the sun is shining-the jockeys are bringing the horses close to pose, Genine is snapping away-and am trying my best to pretend I am there to socialize with strangers. I strike up a conversation with a guy sitting on a bench with a nice camera-before I know it I am telling him my mistake-dead battery and he is pulling an extra out of his bag for me to use. I am so excited! Man the universe is really guiding me-life is good I say to myself.......I notice the battery looks a bit mismatched......and what do you know, my camera doesn't turn on. I try to take the battery out-it is stuck. I give it the old hand heel tap and end up using my house key to gently pry it out. I am bummed but oh well. I proceed to watch Genine snap away while I continue to mumbled to myself under my breath about how dumb I was not to check my battery before I left the house.

Genine comes over and offers me to borrow her battery to take a few shots. I must have looked pretty gloomy pacing around:) Poor Genine. Sorry honey buns.

Anyway...........I put the battery in and....................nothing...............NOTHING...............MY CAMERA IS NOT TURNING ON...................OMFG.............I BROKE MY CAMERA!

Sorry to be shouting I just needed to to get the enormity of my angst in those moments across to you.

So that just blew my whole morning to shreds. I start blubbering- tears falling-I get on the phone to my husband
Me: ".....sniff sniff.....can look it up for me online? (I can't bear to have to wait to get home to know if I should have a complete freaking , omg, I broke my one and only, $700 camera spaz attack)"
Him: "...what do you want me to look up?"
Me: (I am thinking - I don't know you freakin computer geek-get over being annoyed with me and FIND OUT IF MY FU^&Ing CAMERA IS BROKEN!) ".pause...I don't know, maybe:" camera not working after trying to cop a strangers extra battery?"

He had no answers I had no patience so we got off the phone. I had no idea how to compose that previous mess of a sentence).

I went back to the stranger blubbering about breaking my camera and asking if I could see the batteries to write down what kind it was (the toxic breaking camera kind apparently). He gave me the batteries with a look that I couldn't tell if it was like a serial killers or true compassion. I chose compassion-thanked him and took the battery.

A bit later Genine decides that she isn't getting the sunrise with mist shot-nor a shot where the horse is not blurry or dark because of the sun shining so bright so we decide to call the shoot short so to speak.

I am in the car with Genine-I say"there must be a reason for this"....trying to look on the happy side, if that is even remotely possible when I just broke my fu*^ing camera. Genine clues right in and starts Secret talking...."Listen-you are going to get an answer with one phone call and that will be it. You will get it fixed." I was pleased to have these simple words sink in with ease. I just accepted that was the way it would happen and it did.

My camera is wrapped up nicely ready to be shipped first thing Monaday morning to Canon. It is still under warrenty so we hope the repairs will be covered.

Apparently you should never ever ever put a battery in your DSL camera unless you are absolutely sure it is the right model battery. It will break your camera. The "friendly canon representative" told me that since the camera never went on with that battery it probably is a simple fix that should only take a day or two. But if it is a big boo boo it might take 7-10 days.

May I ask you......WTF am I going to do without a camera for that long? I swear I am tempted to pull out my moms old polaroid and use that when the moment strikes me. All day I realized that I am constantly looking for pictures in my surroundings. I think my camera is like a drug:) LOL.

Now I have not forgotten the little challenge I set up last post. I loved all the ideas-you are a creative bunch:) I must admit I was impatient and felt this huge urge to just get it over with 3 days ago during my son's nap. I decided to go with the easiest- 3 colored pieces of paper in the same tones. BORING I know but I couldn't wait for grass to grow! And thank goodness - maybe the universe was on my side after all, making me take the photos last week. It must have been clear I would be without my camera for a bit.

I have some ideas about the lesson in this....I will share on my next post.

Most importantly....... the prize goes to..........




all of you! AHA. I just couldn't pick one idea so anyone who has posted an idea before 7:52pm EST on Aug 18th can pick a picture from flickr or my store and I will send you a card with a print on it as a thank you. Don't forget you have to email me your name and address-except sarah and Melissa-I know where you guys live:)

12 Comments:

Blogger daisies said...

oh my gosh honey ... i am soooo sorry for everything that happened with your camera ~ i so think you should get your polaroid groove on ... i am addicted to mine, sooo much fun : ) and am sending lots of good vibe that you get your camera back sooner rather than later!! xox

8/19/2007 2:17 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

oh honey, i am so sorry, what a sad story. i know what you mean when you say your camera is like your drug. i agree with dar, perhaps getting your fix with your polaroid will inspire some new creativity? hope you camera comes back to you soon.... love you. xoxo

8/19/2007 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh honi - it was a shitty fuckin' morning hu??? ((((THEA)))) -

you didn't tell me about the wine by the way ;)

i'm so glad you're set to ship it out - and glad that i was able to comfort you even a little by thinking it would go easy and smooth - i'm still convinced that it is a very minor problem - probably just a slight shift in one of the sensors...take a breath - it'll be back in your hands in just a few days - and the track is open for acouple more weeks - we can always wake up at the crack ass of dawn, and try again!!! hheeee..hheeeee -

in the meantime, i do have my 35mm - canon rebel ...feel like trying film for fun? just say the word and it's yours sweetie

missed you today - wanna have coffee in the am? i'll kiss and hug those funkies away!!!!!!!! ??

call me in the am - love you xxoo g

anyways -

8/19/2007 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps - i have film...:)

8/19/2007 9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way - i kinda dig this "soft" shot...;)

8/19/2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

When it rains it pours, doesn't it? I'm so sorry that your day was such a challenge. I hope the easy fix works when you send it for repair and it will be back SOON.

8/20/2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

oh my goodness, thea...my heart goes out to you...i mean what an absolutely frustrating and disappointing experience!!!
your very rough day had lots of lessons in it for everyone reading here i'm sure, not just you. i definintely made some mental notes to self!!!
your camera will be back with you in no time...
hang in there!!!
xo
k

8/20/2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger turquoise cro said...

Phew! What a time! and all those gorgeous GOD's beauty full creatures, horsies here and there, they'll be waiting for Your return!!! nNNNeeeiighghghghghhhhhh

8/20/2007 5:45 PM  
Blogger Karen Smithey said...

What an absolutely awful morning--I'm sure your camera will be back soon, better than ever--

Hugs--

8/20/2007 6:26 PM  
Blogger Tanaya said...

I just wanted to stop by & let you know that my old blog (the journey) is gone and I've started blogging here: http://themad1s.blogspot.com/

i hope you'll stop by some time.

tanaya

p.s. hope you're camera is back in those beautiful little hands soon!

8/20/2007 6:40 PM  
Blogger ::Bek Geach:: said...

OMG indeedy Thea.
Sounds like SUCH fun, wish I were there... LOL, sorry babes.

I would have had a TOTAL meltdown.
Oh me and my canon.....blahaahahahaha!

I am finding it SO hard to send it off for a service... it really needs one - somehow *SOME IDIOT* (that would be ::ME::) got dust into it... now there are permanent dust fragments in every frame.

Nath keeps reminding me to send it off... it will be back in just 10 short days.

I cant even bring myself to box it.

So lame am I :-)

Okay - you've inspired me, somethings JUST MUST BE DONE!!!

(hugs) and love and I am sure the "forced" break will bring you much inspiration and ideas...

and when you get your little one back you will be all over it and taking some fab shots (again).
Bx

8/20/2007 11:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, your post sounds like my life this month (with the exception of the broken camera, knock on wood).
We drove down to Saratoga Springs from Montreal to actually eat fried chicken at Hatties and then went to the racetrack where I tried to take some pics of the horses, but couldn't really get any good shots. (you can see some shots on my blog Aug 20 http://www.hipkidtshirts.blogspot.com).

Then we came back, had friends to dinner where drank a little more than was wise, slept out on the deck in a childsize IKEA tent with my son and our teenager neighbors kept us up all night.

:)
Hope you've resolved your camera issue.

8/30/2007 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home