8/10/2007

Fly ladies ~ Declutter

Yes I am a bit of a subscriber.LOL.

The article below was in my flyladymentors@yahoogorups.com newsletter. I have been deleting these newsletters for months-never unsubscribed just deleted. Guess I somehow sensed one day I could use the tips.

The article is perfect for right now because I just successfully organized my studio for better workflow but here is the catch. I realized that I had to move all the big stuff before I could clear out all the junk-or stuffthat I am not using.

Which was really smart because now when I walk into my studio it looks relatively neat and definitely has a better work area flow. I mean I had items for certain tasks in all corners of the room-when I had multiple orders the room was complete chaos and I would have the damnest time finding things, which added a lot of time to tasks.

Now this plan below is perfect for me to start decluttering all the boxes, file cabinets and drawers I shoved all the stuff into:)

I have been sending out emails with questions to you fabulous business women in blogland. I want to thank you so much for your replies!

If anyone reading this has a question about how I have done something let me know. I would love to pass along any helpful tips I can.

Posts to come:
Getting myself a website
Getting my logo and a postcard flyer for the portrait photographers I work with for custom orders.

Surprise Challenge: Declutter 101 - Refresher Course
Posted by: "KELLY" http://by138fd.bay138.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?mailto=1&msg=B4ED39B9-8743-4921-BCF1-A6D69702633F&start=0&len=67434&src=&type=x&to=flyladykelly@flylady.net&cc=&bcc=&subject=sheflygirl
Thu Aug 9, 2007 12:39 pm (PST)
Dear Friends,It is Surprise Challenge time, we are revving up the de-cluttering!Before you read further make sure you understand that we are doingthis in BabySteps. We are not tearing the house apart and thencollapsing in exhaustion. Below are the instructions on how to Declutter - these are step bystep instructions that will allow you to begin de-cluttering withoutbecoming overwhelmed.This is how to Declutter your home, an area of your home. If you arenew to de-cluttering then start with a room that you most see theneed. This could be your living room, your dining room or yourkitchen. Work on the main living areas of your home first. The roomsthat you use the most often that are keeping you in CHAOS. (Can't HaveAnyone Over Syndrome)You will need garbage bags, 3 boxes, a timer, magic markers, a featherduster or dust rag, and some extra boxesLabel the boxes Give Away, Throw Away, and Put Away Where to start:1. Set the timer for 1 hour,30, 15, or 10 minutes , I don't care just as long as you do the job as fast as you can and do not pull out more than you can put a way in that length of time. This means one drawer, one closet or even one shelf in the closet, one magazine rack at a time, under the furniture. Not all of them.2. Start at the entrance to the room. Work your way around the room clockwise. Do not skip an area. What ever happens to be next, just do it.3. With boxes at your feet and dust rag in your waist band. Start of clean out and get rid of the thing that do not belong in this room. Don't worry that you do not have a place for everything right now. By the time we finish you will. I promise. 4. When your garbage box, lined with a garbage bag gets full, close it and put it in the trash can or the pickup truck or where ever you keep your trash. Put in a new garbage bag and keep going until the timer goes off.5. When the give-away box gets full, take it to the car and so that the next time you are out you can donate to the area thrift shop. Do not save for a yard sale. You will be blessed by giving it away. The value can be deducted on you income taxes. Remember you are trying to get rid of clutter. Not relocate it somewhere else in your home. Grab another box. And get to work.6. When the put away box gets full, take the box in your arms and run around the house and put the items in the room where they belong. If they have a place, put them there, if not put them in the room where they logically belong. By the time you have finished you will have a place for everything and everything will be in it's place.7. If the timer goes off, You are required to put away all the boxes, but first you have to empty all of them. As fast as you can.8. Decide how often you are going to declutter a section of this room. I want you to do a little every day. Let me warn you. This can become compulsive. Once you get started you will want to clean like a banshee. Don't burn yourself out. I mean it. Only do small amount at a time. When you set the timer you can only do 2 sessions at a time. I know this is a goal that seems unattainable. But we will do it in little pieces. 9. Things to Ask yourself as you get rid of your clutter. Do you love the item? Is it garbage? Have I used it in a year? Do I have another one that is better? Does it have sentimental value that causes me to love it. Or does it give you guilt and make you sad when you see the item. Cleanse this room of everything that does not make you SMILE. 10. Sing this song. "Please release me let me go" as sung from the stuff point of view. It needs to be loved by someone and if you don't love it. GET RID OF IT!11. Be proud of your accomplishment! Do not look at the room and seeall that you have left to do. Look at the room and see how much youdid do. The house did not get messy overnight and it will not getclean overnight. It will happen with BabySteps.
Back to top Reply to sender Reply to group Reply via web post Messages in this topic (1)

3 Comments:

Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

Thanks for this one...since I am trying to move in 2008 and my house is SO packed with things from myself and my mom before me, these tips will be incredibly useful! Now, you'll just have to give us a glimpse at your studio "after"...
Love,
D.

8/10/2007 11:09 AM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

I finally un-subscribed to the emails. There were just sooo many and I didn't even read most of them. The system works for me and when I stay with it my house is so wonderfully organized and clean with incredibly little effort.

I agree with Delia - let's have a glimpse at that organized studio.

8/13/2007 10:27 AM  
Blogger Bina Simon said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
cheap skip bins yeerongpilly
skip bin hire indooroopilly

6/15/2021 1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home