1/12/2008

After writing the last post, and reflecting a bit, I want to clarify for myself.

Yes-the time I have to make this work may be more limited than I thought, but hey I still have 2 years at least. I have been noticing some of my patterns lately, one of which is to make quick speedy decisions based on feelings. Since marrying my very objective and practical husband, almost 10 years ago, I have learned that researching and sitting with decisions often opens other doors, and leads to decisions you regret less.

Another option that I didn't write about yesterday is to get some focus in both jewelry and photography. For the past 24 hours it continually comes up that if I drop some of the extraneous and focus than I could still do both. It's just trying to figure that out feels more challenging than just walking away from this complicated web of choices. I do love making jewelry. I love putting my photographs into small wearable pieces of art. I do. I don't like the messy studio, 20 projects going at once, bills, having materials that I thought would be great and just ended up a flop or too complicated to add to the arsenal. All of these things are fixable. How I have no idea yet, but they can be changed. And I don't want to be a small business that closes down after the first year. I want to succeed.

Part of the wonder of this blog, is how it allows me to see things from a unique point of view, by writing in a journal and then thinking about it from an outsiders point of view because I know I have put it out there.

Instead of thinking failure or quitting, I am now going to focus on efficiency and objectivity. I may come here and need to work out letting go of ideas that I just don't want to , but I am in this to make it work the best I can.

I am going to give it a shot at least.

9 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

i have to go back and read the previous post.
i know that feeling too well. being pulled in too many directions, having piles and chores and this creative urge not to mention your boy, needing your attention. it seems too much.
it seems like you've got clarity and you'll figure it out as you go along. have faith. xo

1/12/2008 3:28 PM  
Blogger ~summer~ said...

Hi,

Delurking here. Been reading for about a month.

I think that you don't have to choose one or the other; both jewelry and photography have chosen you. You seem, to me, to do both well. The trick, business-wise, is the inventory to keep the cash flow happy. Maybe just set some inventory goals (I know, it's probably hard to think of your art as stock, but it is deary) and set about working to meet those goals. When you have a good selection of jewlery, turn to photography, and vice versa. Of course, when whimsy and inspiration pull you from one media to the next, go with the flow, but don't think that you are sacrificing one for the other; you are immersing yourself in one for the sake of that one passion.

best of luck
Summer

1/12/2008 8:12 PM  
Blogger Annie Z said...

I love your work. Good luck with starting your business!
Annie
xx

1/13/2008 5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Focus - I have a hard time with that one too. But there's no doubt in my mind that intense focus can lead to success. And you are so talented girl, you'll succeed no matter what you pursue.

1/13/2008 10:29 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Yes! You go, woman! And I wish you luck with all of it because I am completely sympathetic and understand all too well the overwhelming "web of choices" that we are confronted with just about every damn day.

Keep it simple. And when you figure out how to do that, will you please share? It is something that I really need to learn how to do too.

lots of love,
j.

1/13/2008 11:39 PM  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

Sharing your process here REALLY helps me and inspires me.
XO,
Melba

1/14/2008 7:48 AM  
Blogger Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

honey we need to try and talk some time this week...i miss you...and i want to know what's going on in your world...i hope you had a lovely, lovely birthday (and I have a little something I'll try and get in the mail sometime this week...and a little something for xmas that i never mailed...)

love you!

1/14/2008 2:47 PM  
Blogger caroline : my pocket said...

Great decision. I agree with Kristen, you can figure it out as you go along. Wishing you peace, time and clarity. :) xoxo

1/14/2008 4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both your photographs and your jewelry are lovely. Here is wishing you all the best as you find your path.

1/15/2008 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home