1/19/2008


This blue bowl was my great aunt in laws. She was a great cook and baker. I always wanted to transcribe her recipes, but never got around to it. I did get some recipes from her before she died. I don't know why I was so nuts about just about everything she made. When I ask what helen would put in something, my mother in law will say "I think she also added season salt". A while ago I went out and bought some, thinking I would get Helens cooking in a little sprinkle jar, but adding a sprinkle here and there just doesn't make it taste like Helen made it.

Helen loved her great nieces and nephews. She would keep little photo albums, one for each of them and she would tell you all the details about their recent antics as you leafed through them. She was a pretty sprite 90+ year old ( I think she was 92 when she died). The last time my son and I went over for lunch-he was about 9 months I think-she served lunch in little courses. She started with a little plate with a tiny piece of lettuce leaf with a spot of cottage cheese and a cherry. Then we had the best sandwich steak with peppers and onions. It was so cute and so fun.

She is greatly missed. I am thrilled that we have a a few of her things with us, and whenever I use them in the kitchen I smile remembering her food and her voice.

9 Comments:

Blogger caroline : my pocket said...

love that blue bowl. and the heart cut-outs... x

1/19/2008 4:28 PM  
Blogger Silvia said...

i love these! are they for sale? xoxox

1/19/2008 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these are fabulous thea....so glad that simplifing your jewlery has opened up time for you to get creative with your photographs... this idea is going to be perfect hon!!!

xxoo genine

1/19/2008 8:05 PM  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

Beautiful photos! I love the first one! To think that something so simple can be so beuatiful! xx

1/20/2008 4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny - I was thinking about her yesterday too! I know she'd love seeing her things put to good use.
Melissa

1/20/2008 1:42 PM  
Blogger Angela Marie said...

Love is in the air ~

;)

I have been wanting to make some heart sugar cookies too!

1/20/2008 1:56 PM  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

i love the feel of these.
the blue bowl is so gorgeous with the yellow from the eggs.
simply perfect, sweetie ;-)

1/20/2008 2:59 PM  
Blogger bluembrownlee said...

Your photos are gorgeous - I love them! :)
-Mary

1/21/2008 1:54 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I love this picture. The shape and color are beautiful.

:)

1/21/2008 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home