10/29/2008

It has been a crazy few days. If I am going to give this journal a fair shot I just have to jump in. Forgive the randomness.

I think I have pink eye. It itches and I had stringy gunk this am. I am super psyched about going to the walk in place. It is better than trying to get in with my reg Dr. I have had a cough and sinus cold for about 10 days now, so I am convinced that my body has been worn down. Having a toddler in preschool also ensures that i am exposed to some nasty cootie bugs as well-so maybe that is a big factor too:)
Since I decided that this was going to become my journal. Basic recording of my life as a small business owner and mother of a 3.5 yr old, I feel I must introduce you to my local family.
This is 4 of the 5 of us. Kelly (next picture) couldn't make it to dinner this night. From left to right (me, Renee, Sandra and Genine)
Genine and I met in grad school, and became really close when she moved about 10 minutes away and soon after we got pregnant within 3 months of one another.

I met Renee one day when Genine and I were at the apple orchard with the kids. Genine and I had decided we needed to start getting out with the boys. Once I set my mind to something..... Anyway I saw Renee and another lady walking to their cars, and I shouted a hello, and then asked how they met each other. Renee told me about a local moms group they had just been with at the orchard. I showed up to another event and Renee and I became fast friends. Our sons are just 3 months apart in age, and she lives a mile down the road from me.

I then met Sandra through Renee and the moms group. We also hit it off right away. Her son is 2 months younger than my son.

Genine met Kelly after seeing her walk through her neighborhood. She has a daughter who is 5 months older than Genines son. Genine, Sandra and Kelly live within a 5-6 block radius of each other.

Over the past 3 years we have all gotten to be very close. We each have built individual friendships with each other as well as a group bond. We see each other multiple times a week, we formed a book club, go out to dinner (just girls) together for birthdays and have lots of family pot luck dinners, parties and date nights. I do not have blood relatives in the area - these women and their families have become my family here.

I was talking to a close college friend, who lives in Connecticut, today. She stays home with her two children. We were talking about her moms group attempts, and she voiced a lot of frustration because they just don't connect. I encouraged her to keep trying. I shared with her how I had tried many classes and groups before finally finding women I felt really at home with. It also takes a lot of work. Being honest about your feelings when you feel hurt, left out, frustrated or confused-with the intention of understanding more than being understood. It means listening and taking responsibility when you have done something to hurt someones feelings. To do it because you love them and you know they will also do the same in return.

I have had many friendships start and then stop because somewhere along the way they or I realized there wasn't a match. One or the other drove the other crazy more than they brought comfort. And you know what? Thank god I kept trying. Because the friendships I have with these women was worth all the disappointment and frustration I experienced on my way to them.

4 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

i really needed to read this, about reaching out and to keep on trying because honestly, this week, i don't know.

10/29/2008 5:37 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

I so need friends close by to go to dinner, movies, or just get hang out with. I really hate that all of my best girlfriends are scattered across the country. miss you :(

10/29/2008 6:44 PM  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

I haven't found my group yet. I have tried, but you are right that sometimes people just don't click and that is OK. I have a good feeling about this year as I have been really putting myself out there more and opening up more.
Keep sharing!

10/30/2008 10:28 AM  
Blogger jenica said...

i'm so glad you've got close loveys.

xoxo

10/31/2008 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home