10/09/2008

Storyteller

"Storytellers, by the very act of telling, communicate a radical learning that changes lives and the world:telling stories is a universally accessible means through which people make meaning" ~ Chris Cavanaugh

"To share our stories is not only a worthwhile endeavor for the storyteller, but for those who hear our stories and feel less alone because of it. "
Joyce Maynard


My first conversation with Jonatha was by the lake outside the dining hall at Squam. Like so many of the lovelies at Squam, I felt an instant heart to heart connection with her.

In this first time together she shared a few stories with me, and I instantly knew that I would absolutely adore her music.

Over the weekend Jonatha continued to blow me away with her story telling abilities. Sitting by the fire she would share stories of her family, her friends, and the people she had met at Squam that day. Every story was better than the last, and gave me a sense of knowing the person she was talking about. This is a rare gift. Having the ability to lovingly share about others as well as about yourself.I am so honored to have Jonatha as a friend. She is not only a talented singer and musician, she is funny, generous, sensitive, kind and wise. Jonatha is now on tour. Headed out to Portland as I write this. If you get a chance, check out her tour itinerary. She may be coming to a place near you! If she does, you must treat yourself to an evening of listening to her tell stories through her music and singing. She is so delightful and talented.

Jonatha has been a dancer all her life, which explains this graceful leap:)


Here is a bit of the lyrics to one of my favorite songs of hers, called "Ten Cent wings"

"If I knew what I was after, I'd remember where I'd been
If I was sure of something better, I'd go, I'd go
But I am just another picture, and I watch myself like you
I imagine what you're thinking,
I know, I know

Ten cent wings, I'll take two
Pin them to my sweater and I'll sail above the blue
Ten cent wings tried and true
Orbiting like satellites I'll sail away with you

I will love across the borders, I will wait until it's dark
I will fly and you'll be with me, my wings, your heart
Then our memory may fail us, and our language will go too

But the shooting stars will catch our
Celestial view........."

8 Comments:

Blogger Georgia said...

That is the song I named one of my necklaces after last year... I LOVE that song. I used to play it on repeat in my car my senior year in High School... That whole album is freaking amazing. *sigh*

xoxo

10/09/2008 8:33 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

i bought a solo ticket to see her in a couple weeks in the city. scared to go alone but so excited.

10/09/2008 11:24 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks for the tip - Michael and I are going to see her when she comes to Chicago in November.

10/10/2008 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear friends are the best...they sure do make life oh so very much better. how sweet are these photos!?!
wishing you more time with Jonatha soon and many more stories to share!

i am smiling, thinking of our first conversation, in the bathroom... ;-)
love to you dear one. xo

10/10/2008 12:55 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

Jonatha is awesome and her music is getting me through these days. I just wish I didn't have to wait until November to see her...and you! Love, Love, Love you!

10/10/2008 11:32 AM  
Blogger jbrooke said...

OMG love the one where you're totally feeling my BUTTTTTT
This made me cry.
you are too sweet.
I think I want you to make me a little story book like you're doing for kids.
yes, that's what I want.
i love you
jb

10/10/2008 12:23 PM  
Blogger Swirly said...

So perfect and beautiful...just like YOU!

10/10/2008 12:29 PM  
Blogger boho girl said...

this made me melt all over.
*sigh*

how i love her
how i love you
how i love us...

xoxo

10/10/2008 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home