10/25/2008

Squam Slideshow

E asked me for 30 photos in slideshow format covering location, classes and the spirit at Squam.

So here is a basic slideshow. When you get to the page- go to the lower right and click the play arrow.

I still have more photos to add, but it feels good to get this far.

When I was taking the group photos at Squam-I shared the realization I suddenly had about that being my moment. The moment my dream took over. It was a physical feeling-like a rush up my spine. A calm settled in my heart as I heard my heart say-this is it-you are a professional photographer-you can do this. The scary leaps you have taken brought you to this moment. Of knowing that this is right where you should be.

When I decided to go into portrait photography I didn't plan very far out. I knew I wanted to have a professional appearance, and that I needed to build a portfolio.

I needed kids, families, teenagers, head shots and events.

I started thinking of people I knew through my husbands work, family, friends, and people I knew of through association. I called and offered these people, a free photo session. I approached families in parks and asked if I could take photos of their families, took their email and then emailed them a gallery and sent them 4x6 prints in the mail. This is how I started building my portfolio and how I started getting my name out.

After I got back from Squam I started to get more paid photo sessions. I also started to work on marketing material using some of the portfolio building photographs.

The work load felt pretty intense for a while, with large comp shoots to process, and wrapping my brain around marketing.

The Babies R Us photo opportunity came about because I made this card (uv coated postcards from overnight prints) and left a bunch at Babies R Us. The event manager saw the card and contacted me to inquire if I would be willing to be the event photographer for their Halloween event.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous photos. they capture a lovely vibe. thank you for sharing.

10/26/2008 4:49 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

That slide show brought back many happy memories. I remember the group photo moment as if it was yesterday; it ended up being a pivotal moment for me too.

Thank you for sharing this.

ps - The elephant ring I bought at the Squam vendor's night brings me joy every time I wear it. Thank you. :)

10/26/2008 3:42 PM  
Blogger kelly barton art + design said...

thea....thank you for the slide show. the memorys flooded back into my mind. still reeling over the whole thing.

peace.

10/27/2008 6:58 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

Thea...the photos are so lovely! I'm already looking forward to next year! Love you!

10/27/2008 6:20 PM  
Blogger jenica said...

have i told you lately how proud i am of you? because i am.

i love you dearie.

xoxo

10/28/2008 12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So beautiful! Just another reason for me to go next year :)

10/30/2008 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home