3/03/2008

Day 1 Diary

I planned on waking at 6am, but I was so busy trying to get things set last night, and had a bit of that excitement insomnia-like the night before the first day of school, when I want to be sure I do everything right the next day, I didn't get to sleep until 12:30am.

When my husband went to bed-the house was dark-I was pushing to get more done-and the twix candy bar in the fridge was calling me. Normally I would be eating my brains out the night before planning an eating change, but this time although I heard the call, I just didn't want to answer it. I found this so puzzling. In some way it seemed that if the goal was to make better choices and take better care of myself, having that twix would be counterproductive. That seems logical but not a normal thing for me.

Three things kept tumbling around my mind last night.

-my sister in law sharing her success in making moderate changes. Kristen's comment about having a great weekend with a friend but just letting it go and continuing where she left off. Valerie B talking about gaining and instead of bingeing, getting right back on.

I feel that for me at this point in my journey, I am ready to start listening and trusting myself on a day to day basis-with a major plan in action, but with permission and trust that I can handle unique situations with grace and ease.

I have always been a cold turkey-black/white kind of girl. Moderation has been avoided. Now I embrace moderation. I see myself happy and joyous right there in the middle.

In the meanwhile I am a grouchy, tired hungry girl. I woke up at 7 instead of 6 because I was up too late. The whole day was pretty much an hour behind. I had to go to the store to buy groceries, and I was starving for lunch by the time we got home at 2pm.

I was rushing to make a salad and cut 2 fingers while trying to sharpen the knife. Called my poor husband all dramatic, shaky, and dizzy-thinking when I took the kitchen towel off my finger may be dangling, since I couldn't really feel the tip. Apparently it was because I was holding it so tight to stop the bleeding it went numb. All is ok in finger land.

I am now very sleepy, a bit tired from the cardio this am, and feel as though instead of turning in early I should be DOING stuff.

So here I am....I am going to plan tomorrow (my darling sons third birthday) right now, since I am afraid if I don't it won't get planned. And let me tell you how much better my day was today having it planned out.

Tonight - pack gym bag and pick clothes for me and the little one

6am- 15 minutes quiet time/meditation/prayer. Didn't do this yet today. Will try to do it tonight before bed.

3 tb half and half with coffee
1c go lean crunch
1/2c soymilk
(Am going to try carb/protein/fat balance for breakfast because the exercise class I take at 10:15 kicks my arse and is mostly resistance training)

6 oz Salad
1tb dressing
4oz grilled chicken
1 c strawberries

10 almonds
apple (the fiber one bar was super sweet and yummy but I noticed I wanted to eat like 20 of them in a row. The sweetness seemed to prime my appetite so I am going to experiment and see if a less sugary snack curbs this afternoon urge.

4oz shrimp
6oz asparagus
4oz sweet potato
1c cantaloupe

On exercise- Linni mentioned hearing someone say they got better results from resistance/weight training than they did from cardio. My sister in law has also experienced this. She looks fabulous and she has been doing primarily weight training at the gym). The cardio I am working on is more a life long goal of mine to incorporate into my life because: I was an idiot and smoked, my mom died of lung cancer, I am blood type O and noticed the connection they made between o blood type and high activity cardio lifting spirits and being important or our overall health was right on for me-whether it is because I have o blood type or what I don't know, but I do know that I could use all the mood / energy lifting I can get. So I do plan on incorporating this kick ass resistance class twice a week for the body toning etc. The cardio is for my mental well being and to drive home the lesson of taking taking on moderation and living healthy.

Right now my body aches and I am so tired it almost hurts. LOL. I am talking from the moment folks. We shall see how this all turns out-all I can say was
today was a good day in the health department.

XO

7 Comments:

Blogger kelly barton art + design said...

hello thea...here are some things i am makeing to eat.

we made mini tuna melts
one pkg albacore white
pepperocini
cherry tomatoes, seeded
balsamic vinegarette, lite.
multigrain baguette

one tsp tuna, per bread slice
add slices of peppers, half cherry tomato drizzle balsamic vinegarette then put a piece of provolone. make 4per serving.

today i used a pkg of tune, put in a small pan and did the same as above minus the bread. baked it for about 15 minutes and put it all on a bed of spinach

i have other recipes - let me know if you want me to email them!

3/03/2008 9:48 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

you did awesome honey :)

and today ... i got my sorry butt back into the gym and it was hard and i hurt but i feel so good about it :)

xo

3/03/2008 10:31 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

There must be something in the air ... we've been eating more carefully for the past two weeks and I'm actually starting to exercise again. I hope we can keep it up and it's not just my excitement about picking out a wedding dress that's fueling this change.

You've got some good planning going on with your days. I'll keep checking back for encouragement.

3/04/2008 12:10 AM  
Blogger Georgia said...

Sounds like you had a pretty good day all in all, even with waking up late :)

I too will be at the gym tomorrow :) I happen to really love the weights... I do some weights every day before I do my cardio...

xoxo

3/04/2008 1:27 AM  
Blogger Melanie Margaret said...

Thank you for sharing your journey~ I am cheering you on!
XO,
Melba

3/04/2008 9:32 AM  
Blogger pERiWinKle said...

Hey Sweetie,

In regards to the weight training...they say you should do cardio as well...but if you do the weight training BEFORE the cardio (instead of cardio and then weights), you loose weight quicker...

I'm sooo proud of you!!! Soooo soooo proud!!!! And when you are tired...rest!

Thinking of you. You inspire me! xx

3/04/2008 11:31 AM  
Blogger jenica said...

i was just thinking about how much i admire what you're doing here, and i look to you side bar to see your perfect words, *be brave*. yup, you are brave thea. be gentle with yourself.

(((hugs)))

you did WAY better than i've been doing!

3/04/2008 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home