6/19/2008

Falling Slowly

I can't describe the hope that I feel watching Barack Obama speak. I have never felt so inspired by a political figure. Somehow he has ignited in me a fire to try to make a difference and an excitement for politics. I have often felt frustrated with issues I read in the newspaper, and until recently felt a sense of powerlessness, that nothing I could do would really make a difference.

Almost every evening I watch evening news programs on cnn, msnbc or fox. I am interested in knowing about what both the left and right are saying.

His campaign is the first I have ever donated to, twice. And this is the first time I have wanted to volunteer for a candidate.

This morning I got an email from my sister in law that made me beam, clap and do a dance. Here is a bit of it (M I just had to post it it made me so giddy)

"The concert was incredible and fun - the band and music were terrific. But the highlight of the night was when, during the song "Falling Slowly" (the one that won the Oscar for Best Song), Glen Hansard screwed up a lyric and kind of laughed it off, walking around the stage for a moment to re-group. Then he apologized and said something like, "I lost my focus because I got to thinking about how this song is particularly meaningful this evening. We have a special guest in the audience tonight, and I'd like to dedicate this song to him, and ask all of you to sing along. Barack Obama is here with us tonight, and I hope he gets the chance to take this sinking boat and make a change."



The crowd went crazy. We couldn't see him, because he was up in the balcony and we were on the floor, under the overhang. We had noticed tons of security earlier in the concert hall and thought it was a little strange, given the nature of the crowd/concert.



So then they finished up the song, and everyone sang along to the lyrics:"



"Take this sinking boat and point it home

We've still got time.

Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice

You've made it now."



This is a post from Obama's site blog:

Raise your hopeful voice
By IA for Obama ☮ - Feb 26th, 2008 at 9:52 am EST
Also listed in: Irish and Irish Americans For Obama | Irish for Obama
Comments | Mail to a Friend | Report Objectionable Content

If you watched the Oscars you may remember a young woman, Markéta Irglová, who came back out after a commercial break to give her acceptance speech for her song, Falling Slowly. She spoke about how HOPE connects us all. The movie, "Once," holds a special place in my heart, as my uncle produced it, but it stands out for its singular beauty and inspiring message. It was made by people who didn't have much else besides HOPE and talent. Below is Markéta's speech, the lyrics for the song (written by Markéta's partner), and links to their video, their speeches, and their perfomance. I hope you enjoy it, and that it inspires you as well while you raise your hopeful voice.

Yes. We. Can.

Markéta: "Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we're standing here tonight, the fact that we're able to hold this, it's just to prove no matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don't give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much, who helped us along way. Thank you."

Glen Hansard - Falling Slowly Lyrics
I don't know you
But I want you
All the more for that
Words fall through me
And always fool me
And I can't react
And games that never amount
To more than they're meant
Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now

Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black
You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now
Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing along



video with clips from film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSL_qayMCc



video of their Oscar perfomance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Haa2r7ujg



Oscar acceptance speeches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5ybN3eh-A

10 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

That is a beautiful song, a beautiful speech and a beautiful sentiment. I love reading about women getting excited and involved in politics. It's one of the ways we can change the world right? Good on you for choosing your candidate for change and then taking action. I'm cheering!

6/19/2008 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw the aforementioned show and it was great. Crowd went wild and gave a standing ovation when Glenn announced Obama was there. Hansard said it's great to have someone who "will help us take our country back" and this was followed by a second, even louder standing ovation.

- Brian in Chicago

6/19/2008 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I have chills and tears.

I am hopeful...

6/19/2008 12:21 PM  
Blogger Georgia said...

This made my morning :)

6/19/2008 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there too, it was pretty incredible to think that Barack Obama likes their music and would come to a concert with 3000 other Chicagoans. I blogged about the concert too here. http://chicagoweekendfun.com/2008/06/16/the-swell-season-at-chicago-theater-glen-hansard-marketa-irglova-once-in-concert/

Thanks for sharing!

6/19/2008 4:17 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

I loved the movie, love that song, and felt so proud and moved at their Oscar win and what they said. So Barak Obama is a fan too!

6/19/2008 6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this post (and that song)! i'm not an American so i don't get to vote in this election but i am a proud wearer of one of your yes.we.can rings. there is something so inspiring about people getting excited about issues and making a difference. thank you

6/19/2008 7:58 PM  
Blogger beth said...

what a beautiful and heartful post !!! I just loved it !!

and being one of those people who loves the movie ONCE and the song....oh, it's just so great to read someone else giving kudos to it and Obama all at the same time !!!

6/20/2008 8:40 PM  
Blogger boho girl said...

this made me so weepy!

the thought of Obama at that awesome concert makes me fall more for him.

Once is one of my very favorite films and this song is one of my very favorite songs. after the film, i learned the lyrics and tried singing the duet with my hubs. i was so moved by it and to think it also describes what our country needs gives me chills.

he MUST win!

i love you baby.
back from my trip away.
lets connect soon my love.
xoxo

6/20/2008 9:54 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

oh honey...this post gave me shivers of hope and delight. thank you so much for sharing.

your words, and the words of this song, touch me deeply.

6/21/2008 9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home