7/04/2008

New Fairies

Fairy Queen
Fairy snow
Fairy sun

Fairy white
As a child I loved picking my mother nosegays of delicate wildflowers I found while taking walks. The other day my son and I arrived before the doors opened at his camp, so we wandered around the school grounds identifying flowers. My son has grown to love flowers almost as much as I do. We picked a pretty little nosegay for my son to give to his teacher. Never to early to teach my son it is nice and easy to give women flowers, right? hee hee

I have been spending little time photographing flowers lately, so when I found I really wanted to photograph these flowers we were picking it felt familiar and made me smile. When I went back later to pick up my son from camp I brought my camera and took a few photographs. Ever since that day I have noticed flowers everywhere. My desire to photograph them is there but not quite as strong as it was last summer.

Yesterday on a walk to the park down the road, I noticed a bunch of delicate wild white flowers that I realized would go beautifully in a series with Fairy White. So we came home, got the car and my Duaflex and headed back to the park.

Now in my rush, I forgot the light blocking tube I made for the Duaflex, and so I had to improvise. This was definitely a funny sight, but I wasn't laughing much.

It was sunny and warm and I am pretty crabby when I get too hot. The reflection on the viewfinder of the Duaflex camera was terrible. I tried to contrive a makeshift sun blocker.

The setup for getting the above shots involved me perched on a step of the play gym in the park with everything else on the step below me. I brought a small cork board with a piece of turquiose paper pinned to it. The cork board was resting on a rail, the Duaflex camera was balancing on a soft pack of baby wipes. I took the yoga mat from the back of my car and tried to keep it folded around the outside of said baby wipes, somewhat being held in place with my legs and one hand, and I must say not very successfully. I also was holding and navigating a not big enough cloth umbrella over my head with the same hand that was holding the yoga mat. With my other hand I was trying to take the picture of the viewfinder but my macro 100mm lens is long and I need to get a certain distance away to get the whole viewfinder in. The problem was as I backed up my head hit the umbrella and the higher the umbrella had to go, the more the yoga mat became displaced, and then light creeped in onto the viewfinder from like a million angles. I was a sweaty cursing mess. I was barely able to ignore my sons sudden request to go in the baby swing, or to deter him from wanting to play with the vase of flowers I was photographing; but what really pushed me over my thresh hold was when he was on the top of a very high slide and started standing up on the platform saying in an urgent voice that he had to go pee pee.

Anyway. Just thought I could share a little back story behind these photos......

5 Comments:

Blogger Val Cox said...

nice ttv series!

7/05/2008 7:22 PM  
Blogger mccabe said...

oh i am so excited!
i LOVE my fairy white photo.
people comment on your photo
all the time when they come over.
it would be such a treat to get a sister photo for it.

you never cease to inspire me thea.
:)

miss you too!
lets chat sometime soon.

with love,
mccabe x

7/06/2008 7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that story makes the pictures even MORE beautiful...

:)

7/06/2008 10:10 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

hahahaha! oh, that would have made an excellent UTube video! artist hard at work. and, if you ask me, totally worth the frustration as your photos turned out excellent!

7/07/2008 11:58 AM  
Blogger Karen Smithey said...

These pictures are beautiful. As a mom of three, the story makes me laugh. The only speeding ticket I ever got was when the boy (now fifteen) was in the backseat with his baby sister, chanting, "I HAVE TO POOP. NOW," over and over again...

7/20/2008 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home